Camping is exciting! It’s the adventure that leaves you having the best daydreams of what you’ll get up to. Sometimes, we get so excited that we forget the little details of our packing. Especially, when it’s our first time going on a camp trip – your excitement is valid! But, you want to make sure that there isn’t any glitch at any point in your travel as the little details can suddenly become a necessity during your stay.
Pack guys! Think, plan your travel, sit down and write a list of all the things you need for your trip. Carry those necessities that you dread carrying; they might turn out to be the things that make a smooth, uninterrupted, camping experience and that is just what you want.
So whether you’ve already stocked your backpack, written a camping list, or are about to write a list but need some assistance, I am here to help. Below are things you will need for that fabulous camping trip you have planned out.
This is the most well-known and essential camping item. You need shelter; you need a covering which, is what tents provide. Some people have trouble setting up tents. For some, it’s one of the reasons why they haven’t gone on that camping trip. But hey, practice makes perfect. Ensure you practice setting up your tent in your garden a few times before the set day.
Moreover, make sure you bring a tarp as it can protect the top and bottom of your tent (The size of the tarp will depend on the size of your tent). And most importantly, ensure you have sleeping bags, pillows and blankets. Because a warm, cosy trip is definitely the goal.
A backpack is equally significant. This will contain many things you don’t ever want to forget on a camping trip. Here are several necessities you may need:
- Toilet paper
- Lip balm with SPF
- Hand sanitiser
- First aid kit
- Toiletry kit (containing a toothbrush, soap, toothpaste etc.)
- Pain killers
Typical (but Important) Camping Items
- Rope: Will come in handy – you can use it to make a clothesline or to hang pots. Overall, you want to feel at home.
- Flashlight/Headlamp: Battery-powered flashlights or headlamps are necessary. This is because you’re in the woods, and there might be no electricity of any sort. You want to bring along what you can rely on. Headlamps are best when you are working on something, this way, your hands are free of holding the light. Remember to pack extra batteries.
- Matches/Lighters: Matches/lighters are great. You can bring either separately or both. This can help to create a fire in case of a cold night to keep you warm. And do other things like help with cooking etc.
- Compass or GPS: You never want to be lost on your adventure. These are important for finding your way around, especially if you plan on hiking.
- Whistles: This can help if you get lost or encounter danger. It alerts your fellow campers or strangers nearby.
- Map: A map is equally great for direction. So if you are climbing the mountains or hiking, you’ll need your map as a guide.
- Wood: This can help when you want to create a fire or cook. You may find wood in the bushes, but just to have everything go smoothly, carry along a chunk of wood or two.
Food and Drink
There aren’t many restaurants in the woods, so you may want to cook your own food or carry some pre-cooked food along. Therefore, you may want to bring:
- Food (prepared food and/or raw food)
- Towel and soap
- Lightweight cookwares
- Camping stove with fuel; pick one appropriate enough to fit into your backpack.
- Water filtration; incase you want to drink water from the lake, and need to filter it
You’re probably thinking, who forgets their clothes? But it’s never just about remembering to bring clothes; it’s also about remembering to pack the right clothes. You need a variety of garments for the weather and potential activities. Here are some clothing items you may want to pack:
- Light fabric wears
- Long pants, long sleeves or sweaters. One rule of camping is; never to trust the weather forecast. Just pack!
- Wool socks
- Lightweight hat
- Head warmer
- Hiking boots, shoes or sandals
- Storage compression cubes (this helps with organizing all your items)